Bellerby Memorial Hall was built in 1929-30 and dedicated to the memory
of the seven men from the community who gave their lives in the Great
(1914-18) War. The Hall was built with money ( £1013.10.6d) raised
by public subscription, and with a grant from the Carnegie Trust, on land
purchased from Miss Margaret Davidson of The Lilacs, Bellerby. The stone
used to build the Hall was taken from a quarry on the Manor House land
and was carted by Mr. John Mawer and his employee of Studdah Farm. The
builders were Richmonds of Richmond. The Hall was opened on 21st January
1931 by Captain W. Burrill-Robinson of Redmire. The stone on the porch
was inscribed by Mr. Joe Bowler of Bellerby.
During the summer of 2006 a major refurbishment took place including replacing
all the windows and redecorating the hall.
It was the first public meeting place in the village and then, as now,
was the venue for a wide range of activities. Representatives of the village
groups, clubs and churches form the Hall Committee but more volunteers
are always welcome!
In addition to being the home to several diverse groups (click Activities)
the Memorial Hall is also available for hire for both residents of Bellerby,
and also groups from outside the village.
The Hall is available for Hire by both residents and non residents of
Bellerby. View and download a brochure
describing the Hall and its facilities.
to down load a Hall booking form click Booking
To book the Hall contact: Eric
Daniels 01969 625828
History of the
The church of St John
the evangelist was consecrated on 24th March 1874.
It is thought that this is the third building on this site. The previous
ones, the first of which was built pre 1801 was described as 'nothing
short of an office'. In 1801 the building was improved but was smaller
than the present one, being a long monotonous building without windows
on either the Northern side, or the Western gable end.
A small belfry could
have distinguished it from a schoolhouse 'which had not much light to
boast of inside'
Mr. J. Jones of Leyburn was the architect and builder of the present church.
This with the chancel, sanctuary, vestry, small bell turret, and porch,
was much more spacious than its predecessor. The windows are of cathedral
glass with coloured margins, The east window of stained glass depicting
the birth, death and resurrection, is in memory of Mr. J.H Osborne, and
the west window in memory of Francis Walker. He, you will notice, has
a brass tablet on the south wall, placed there by parishioners in gratitude
for his generous gifts to the community. The pews and furniture are of
pitch pine and the octagonal font of carved freestone is from the Halfpenny
Bellerby, first documented in the Domes- book (1086), was originally in
the parishish of Spennithorne. It is recorded that the parishioners of
Bellerby and Skeltoncote, in 1474, sent a petition to the Pope in Rome,
urging him to sponsor the use of a chapel in Bellerby for Mass and the
appointment by the Rector of Spennithorne of a priest to serve the Chapel,
which had a dwelling place in Bellerby for him to live in. They complained
that they were far from the parish church and the river called Abildebeck
'is so much swollen in winter that the said inhabitants, who number more
than a hundred, are often prevented from receiving the Communion from
the Rector, and from going to the said church to hear divine offices,
wherefore, in times past divers persons have died without receiving Confession
and the Eucharist, and without receiving other sacraments and the like,
and worse is feared in the future.
There is mention of a St. Catherine's Chapel at the foot of Richmond Hill.
It is thought that this may have been the original chapel of ease.
In 1847 Bellerby Church was licensed for baptisms, marriages, burials
and the registers were started then. Prior to that date all these sacraments
were performed at Spennithorne.
St. John's lies at the centre of the Bellerby community and is much loved
and looked after in every possible way.
The parish is now held in plurality with Leyburn and served by a vicar
This information was researched by Mary Clarke and David Hall, July 1988.
During 2005, after much fund raising in the parish, the church was re-roofed
and decorated inside. In January 2006 a carpet was fitted throughout.
The Wesleyan Chapel which is
situated towards the bottom of Moor Road, was built in 1839 and is the
oldest such chapel in Wensleydale. Sadly the Chapel held its last service
on Sunday 1st April 2012. A double CD of the hymns and the proceedings
can be had from the webmaster.
For information on the Wensleydale
Circuit click here